Bernadette

Bernadette was content as a maid in the palace of Versailles until the French Revoulution turned her world upside down.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, Kiribati

"There's only us/There's only this/Forget regret/Or life is your's to miss/There's only now/There's only here/Give in to love/Or live in fear/No other road/No other way/No day but today" ~RENT Words to live by!

Monday, January 09, 2006

April 12, 1789

As I rose, all I thought about was the rising of the King and Queen. The rising was always something to look forward to, but this day was special. This day was Easter. I found my new gown draped over the end of my bed. During these huge celebrations, even the servants get new clothes. The dress was beautiful. It had a pale blue bell skirt, with a similarly pale yellow jacket, which would cascade down my back, ending in a short train. I wouldn’t be allowed to wear it yet, not until the feast. It would be bad Etiquette to wear a fancy dress during normal work. I shall do my best not to go mad waiting for tonight.
Later: The feast was fabulous. After fasting for what seemed like an eternity, it was wonderful to eat to my heart’s content. Marie Antoinette’s dress was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Her skirts were huge, sticking out at least three feet on either side. This arrangement must have been heavy, but it made room for a whole host of flounces, ruffles, bows, and diamonds. And her hair. Her hair rose to monstrous heights above her forehead. It too was adorned with curls, diamonds, bows, fake birds, flowers, and whole strings of pearls. The Queen looked magnificent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home